The son of a teacher and a police officer - Joe Durso has always been taught the importance of public service and giving back to his community. As a Vice President of CBC of Central Florida, Joe has spent the past 14 years fighting for abused and neglected children, their families and other vulnerable groups in communities throughout Central Florida. As the youngest Mayor in Longwood’s history, Joe sought to bring innovative solutions and his ability to make tough decisions to meet the needs of a diverse and growing county. Joe’s leadership in Longwood has led to unprecedented economic growth, a higher quality of life, and a city rated one of the Top 10 safest cities in Florida.
Joe’s experience in the private and public sector has given him a clear, strong voice he can bring to the Seminole County Commission to STAND STRONG FOR YOU!
Standing Strong for Seminole County’s Future starts with...
Standing Strong for Economic Growth
Dedicated to protecting Seminole County’s robust economic expansion, Joe has a proven track record of keeping taxes low, reducing regulatory burdens, embracing transportation innovations and supporting responsible development. Joe believes a small, efficient, effective government will keep Seminole growing!
Standing Strong for Public Safety
Joe is a steadfast supporter of our first responders. As the son of a retired police officer, he is committed to ensuring that our police and firefighters have the resources needed to protect and serve our rapidly growing community. As Mayor of one of Florida’s safest cities, Joe knows what it takes to keep the public safe and to provide residents and visitors alike security and peace of mind.
Standing Strong for Seminole County’s Families
Joe has dedicated most of his private sector career to serving families. As a leader in the fight for abused, neglected and abandoned children, Joe has worked to ensure that children in Central Florida’s foster care system can grow up safe, happy and health. As an adjunct professor of political science at Seminole State College of Florida, Joe has used his experience in the public and private sector to give students a real world understanding of the limited role of local, state and federal government.
Standing Strong for Florida’s Natural Choice
As Seminole County grows, Joe is committed to protecting our community’s natural beauty and rural heritage for future generations. Ensuring a safe and sustainable water supply and preserving the Rural Boundary is vital to ensuring a livable community and maintaining a high quality of life.
Educated to Serve
- Florida State University Bachelor of Science in Political Science
- Certificate in Political Economics
- Florida State University Bachelor of Science in Social Science with a concentration in Economics
- George Washington University Masters of Issue Advocacy and Political Management
- Harvard University Kennedy School of Government Emerging World Leaders Program
- Leadership Seminole – Class of 2007
- Leadership Orlando – Class of 2014
- Leadership Florida – Class of 2015
Committed to his Community
Orlando Science CenterBoard of Directors - Advocacy Chairman
Rotary Club of LongwoodPast President
Rotary Club of Lake Mary
Charity Challenge, Inc.Board Member 2002-2014
Foundation for Seminole County Public SchoolsVice President for Governance
Take Stock in Children Committee, the Grants for Great Ideas Committee and the Consortium of Florida Education FoundationsMember
Florida Public Relations AssociationMember 2014 - Present
Seminole County Republican Executive CommitteeFinance Chairman 2004-2008
Precinct 20 Committeeman 2004-Present
Seminole County Young RepublicansMember
Seminole State College RepublicansFaculty Advisor
City of Longwood 2007/2008 Charter Review Advisory CommissionChairman
Central Florida Foundation for Foster ChildrenCore Collaborators Committee 2008 - 2011
Seminole Cultural Arts CouncilGrants Committee 2013-2014
Florida HospitalAltamonte Springs Campus Development Committee
Florida Future Business Leaders of America - Professional Business LeaguePresident - Foundation Board of Directors 2008-2010
State Board of Directors 2008-2010
Seminole County Port AuthorityBoard of Directors 2008
Seminole County Regional Chamber of CommerceMember, 2007 Board of Directors Nominating Committee
Vice Chairman, Issues Committee 2009-2010
Chamber Ambassador 2007
Longwood Area Chamber of CommerceIssues Committee 2009-2010
Annunciation Catholic ChurchKnights of Columbus
A Leader with Regional Impact
Metroplan Orlando, Inc. Board of Directors Metroplan Orlando, Inc. - Municipal Advisory Committee (MAC)
- Two Terms as Chairman
Florida League of Cities
- President - Tri-County League of Cities
- Chairman - Federal Action Strike Team
- Chairman - Growth Management and Transportation Committee
- Member - Energy and Environmental Quality Committee, the Advocacy Committee, and the Resolutions Committee
Central Florida Water Initiative
- Member - Business and Government Workgroup
Florida Children's Movement
- Central Florida Board of Advisors
The James Madison Institute
- Central Florida Board of Advisors
Central Florida Partnership
- Young Professionals Advisory Committee (YPAC) 2012-2014
Florida League of Women Voters
- 2012 "Young Elected to Watch" Award
Rotary Clubs of Longwood and Lake Mary
- I was honored to serve as President of the Longwood Club. During my time as President I was able to achieve the status of "Double Paul Harris Fellow". I was also awarded the "Service Above Self" Award and the Rotary President’s Award.
Orlando Business Journal
- 2012 and 2015 Forty Under 40 Award Honoree